Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 14 July 10 2009


Drumheller to Youngstown

Depart 9:15
Arrive: 5:45

Daily distance: 134.38km
Time: 6:53.15
Odo: 1394.7km
Max Speed: 45.9km/hr
Avg speed: 19.5km/hr

Got going a little late today, I camped next to a family that snored, yes the family, all four of them.
Climbing out of Drumheller I heard the all to familiar twang of spokes breaking, I was able to do the repair without removing my gear or the wheel off the bike so I was very happy about that. I had one more go just out of Hanna making it 3 spokes today and only 2 left in my inventory and not many town around.
There were lots of ups and downs between Drumheller and Hanna but perfectly flat from Hanna eastward and I made good time this afternoon.
The weather was cloudy with very light breezes making it perfect for cycling.
I'm not roadside caping tonight, better, Youngstown has a free tenting site with washrooms and running water. I had dinner in the Hotel/pub/ general store/liquor store. The girl running it was from Campbell River along with a couple of other guys in there, she was good enough to let me charge the Blackberry while I ate and I chatted with the three of them. After dinner she opened the store for me and I bought some water.
When I got back to the tent a fellow rode up on his bike and we chatted about different routes to take, he introduced himself as Bill and said he'd bring coffee down at 5 Bells tomorrow.
Small towns are friendlier.
Due to my bike heavy ingestion of spokes, I will head to Saskatoon and plan to be there either late. Monday or early Tuesday.