Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 17 July 13 2009


Rosetown to Saskatoon

Depart: 6!45am
Arrive: 3:15am

Daily distance 124.85km
Time: 7:14.44
Odo 1780.3 km
Max. 33.2 km/hr
Avg speed: 17.2 km/hr

Cyclist come in many forms, from the Lance Armstrong's to the guy who carries huge plastic bags filled with pop cans. I fall inbetween, not in the middle, just inbetween.
Today I felt closer to the Lance type than usual. I decided last night that I couldn.t afford to be using a rest day running around Saskatoon  hunting down bike parts. I decided I would leave Rosetown early enough to get to Saskatoon in time to get my bike into a shop. I was  hoping it would be ready for noon tomorrow and I could lay low and do Sudoku's all day. I peddled hard leaving Rosetown and was making good time on the flat prarie when the wind  started hitting my south side slowing my progress. I kept going until I hit Saskatoon.
When I got here I asked directions to a shop that the bike repair  guy in Kindersley recommended. I drove like a bicycle courier all through town. As I approached the The Bike Doctors shop 2 guys were outside the door shouted "Bring it right in". These guys were amazing they had the wheel I wanted, installed it, installed a new rack and a new gearset and chain all within the hour. It was a busy store and they kept up with everyone else. The new gearset has a much better low gear for hill climbing and a faster top gear. Third gear on the new set feels like first gear on the old set.
When I went to leave the guy I was dealing with said there were tornado warnings down south and lots of rain forcast for tonight so he phoned and booked me a room at a nearby motel. Only in Saskatchewan, and this tpye of service is everywhere. I wonder if it was me passing though that caused the tornado today?
With my bike done a day ahead of schedule, I've decided to head east along Highway 16 and find a quiet spot to take a break in the next few days, and do sudokus.