Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 32 July 28 2009



Nipigon Ont to Terrace Bay Ontario

Depart: 9:00 am
Arrive: 6:00 pm

Daily Distance: 109.04 km
Time: 6:50.25
Odo: 3536.7 km
Max. 51.8 km/hr
Avg. Speed: 15.9 km/hr

Weather: Rain all morning, showers on and off all afternoon.

Road Conditios: shoulders generally good(B+) 1 big hill 3 major hills,

Today was one of the most challenging yet satisfying day I've had this whole trip. Whether it was my new gears, the cool weather or  my superb conditionig I'm not sure, but, I did 3 very large climbs today anyone of which would have required some walking in the past. Very satisfying.
Although cycling in the rain can be miserable and really make my feet stink, I go through far less water than on a sunny day. Today I drank less than 1 L. compared to maybe 6 on a hot day.
I have been hearing talk of 'the big german guy' who is cycling across the country yet had never met him, until today, this guy is HUGE the Paul Bunyen of the cycling world. I met him just prior to the end of the day and asked him how he found the hills, "easy" he said. "Really" I saId kinda surprised. "Ya" he says" but my legs are killing me and I'm calling it quits early today", even fellow cyclist won't give a straight answer.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'd like to get some serious distance in and get to a campsite beyond Marathon.