Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 4 June 30 2009





Merritt to Kamloops

Daily Distance: 106.31
Time: 6:48.23
Odo: 451.7
Max Speed: 45.7km/hr
Avg speed: 15.6 km/hr
Dep time 7:00am
Arr time: 4:15pm

Took Hwy 5a from Merritt to Kamloops that goes for 30 perfecly flat kilometers, my kind of riding. Part way through I decided to check out an annoying rubbing sound coming from the back wheel, broken spoke. The previous day the rear corner of my pannier folded into the rear wheel while I was heading down a hill on the Coq, didn,t think much of it at the time, just re-secured the panniers and headed off. I,m hoping it was the previous days events that caused the damage, at least I,d know the cause. I carried onto Kamloops hoping I could get the rear wheel fixed there but it was too late in the day for the shop to repair it. I bought 3 spokes so I could replace them myself and carry on as tomorrow is Canada day and I don,t want to lose a cycliing day, especially in Kamloops.
My sister Nancy met me in the Silver Sage Campground stragically located in the Industrial part of the town, right next to the truss plant. We went for dinner at the Keg and then went and did a tour of the town which included a drive by of all the Scotiabanks, I was glad to see her and I know how proud she is to have me as her brother.
After I got back to my campsite, replaced the spoke (turned out to be two) and met my neighbours.
When I checked in the girl at the desk told me I would be staying next to a father and son who were biking from Richmond to Ontario Via Whistler, Oh crap I thought, these people sound extreme, I know they,ll be wearing Cervelo gear, have european accents and laugh at my tent. Instead the dad Wayne was a regular guy (just like me) we had a good evening talking and were later joined by a 21 year old English chap, Philip.