Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 13 July 09 2009



Calgary to Drumheller

Depart 6:20am
Arrive 3:05 pm

Daily distance: 144.41 km
Time: 7:49.41
Odo:1260.3 km
Max speed: 45.2 km/hr
Avg, 18.4 km/hr


So much for global warming, I rode all the way today with a coat on. One of my biggest fears next to losing my wallet was how I was going to handle the heat of the "Badlands", crisis averted. Even though the temperature is cool, the winds are something I wasn't familiar with, and I thought I was going to miss sailing this summer.
Heading North between Calgary and Crossfield the wind was blowing out of the northwest slowing the 30km strech to a slow crawl, sometimes less than 10km/hr on the flat.
Turning east at Crossfield the wind was.  nudging me along and I was making up for lost time.
The passing traffic seamed to create greater suction today than normal providing no relief from keeping a tight grip on the handlebars.
I'm staying at a. campsite in Drumheller tonight and will be heading into a strech of eastern Alberta that doesn't seem to offer to many amenities, perhaps tomorrow night will be my first roadside campout.