Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 15 July 11 2009


Youngstown Alberta to Kindersley Sask

Depart: 6:30am
Arrive: 4:45pm

Daily Distance: 168. 23km (first century)Time: 8:24.59
Odo: 1562.9km
Max. 44.1Km/hr
Avg. 20.0 km/ hour

As promised Bill brought me my coffee and I gave him one of the 2 10 inch crescent wrenches I had found on the road the previous day. They're to heavy to carry but I had to pick the first one up because it was there and 30 km later I found the second. I took it as a sign that I was supposed to have  them and who was I to mess with the universe. 
The funny part about me carrying 2 wrenches is that the previous day I bought a special socket to remove the gearset on the rear wheel (yes it has to do with my ongoing spoke saga). The head on this socket required a 1 inch wrench or a 10 inch crescent wrench to turn it, I however determined that either one of these tools would add crippling weight to my already overpacked bike and I would not compromise trip on such frivolous devices. So instead of the wrech, my father drilled through my socket so I could insert an allen key to turn the socket. I found this whole thing amusing.
When I ate dinner last night a former Campbell Riverite/Newfy told me he liked Youngstown because it was like the twighlight zone, when I chuckled he said"don't laugh, you're here too" he couldn't have been more right, except for all the new Dodge 4X4's the praries have stood still in time in so many ways.
Great ride all morning 80k went fast until the Sask border then the hills and the wind (in the wrong direction) started, but I still  managed my highest milage day yet.
Tomorrow I hope to get close to Saskatoon it's 199 km but if the wind comes from the SW it may be possible.
Another night of free camping in a park behind the regional campgroud in Kindersley with access to free showers. " Nothing makes me happier than getting  a free T shirt" Warren Buffett