Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 19 July 15 2009



Saskatoon to Wynard Sask

Depart 6:15 am
Arrive 4:30 pm

Daily Distance: 196.6km
Time: 8:39.59
Odo. 1973.9km
Max. 43.5km/hr
Avg. Speed: 22.3 km/hr

A steady light wind at my back, new rear wheel and gears, flat prarie, cloudy skies, all add up to a good cycling day. With unseasonally cooler weather, I,ve been riding with my coat on most of the way through the praries, the cooler temperatures also reduces the amount of water I need to consume which is not always easy to find out here.
My planned destination for the day was a little town called Lanigan but I arrived there just afternoon having done 130km and decided I could get in 60 more so I kept going.
Coming into Lanigan a train started passing me so I waved at the conductor and  started racing it, my goal was to not let the last car get by me. Thank god it was a long train and it's final destnation was only about 15km down the road, as it rolled to a stop I passed the engine and waved at the conductor, victory was mine.
The wind approached from the side for the last 20 clicks of the day but I was happy with my progress.
I stopped to get some grocery's in Wynard and was offered a place to stay along with some fresh warm bread, although I turned down the offer I was greatful for the gesture, it's difficult for me to break from my routine.
Tomorrow the weather forcast looks as good as todays so I'm shooting for Yorkton or Churchbridge, either way it will most likely be my last night in friendly Saskatchewan.