Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 24 July 20 2009


Portage La Prarie to Richer Man.

Depart: 9:00am
Arriive: 5:15 pm

Daily Distance: 144.61 km
Time: 6:24.22
Odo: 2659.7km
Max. 35.2 km/hr
Avg speed: 22.6 km/hr

Weather: Sun and Overcast mix 28• C Wind SW 10k

Spent a lot of last night looking at different options for staying off the number 1 because of the poor shoulder and avoiding going through Winnipeg. When I got up this morning the answer came to me in the wind, I headed straight down the #1 with a good south western. Breeze on my back and straight through Winnipeg. The unpaved shoulder made up about half the ride to Winnipeg but it really wasn't an issue. I've come to rely heavily on the goofy looking mirror attached to my helmet and because you can see traffic coming behind you for MILES you could see if they were pulling into the left lane long before they neared me. Only twice in 50km did I pull onto the gravel because I felt it may get squishy.
Pulling into the outskirts of the city I checked my average speed for 50k completed, 26.6km/hr. I was in Tim Hotons before the lunch rush.
Headed right through down town with no problems, got a picture of the Golden boy and a picture of the Red River to show Megan.
The rest of the ride into Richer was through 30km of construction zone but I had a paved shoulder. The 30k strech east of Winnipeg is being redone and will make for nice riding next year.
I felt like Pasta and seafood for dinner so I Had canned salmon mixed with Chef Boy R D  ravioli