Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 31 July 27 2009



Thunder Bay to Nipigon Ont

Depart: 8:00am
Arrive: 4:15 pm

Daily distance: 110.17 km
Time: 6:02.52
Odo: 3427.7 km
Max:49.4 km/hr
Avg speed: 18.2 km/hr

Weather: sun/cloud am. Thunder/lightning in the afternoon including 2 downpours. (Any sympathy yet)

Roads: lots of hill climbs today but all managable.
Shoulders: 50% D-, 50% A+

The rain has caused a few squeeks and groans to the bike.  I took some time this morning to make a few adjustments, clean some sand out of places it shouldn't be and added a few drops of oil, everything is running so much smoother and quiter.
Thunder Bay reminder me a lot of downtown New Westminster, circa 1986. Let's just say it needs work. Although I never saw the sleeping giant, I did see Sleeping giant park which had a great railway tressle.
One thing Thunderbay should be proud of is the Terry Fox Memorial. The memorial is within a park located off the highway just east of town with a great view of lake Superior. Even though the park is off the highway you don't hear a sound, very peaceful with a very tasteful granite monument and statue with well  kept gardens. I was very moved and impressed  by it.
Apparantly there is also a plaque on the roadside where Terry actually stopped but its not well marked and I missed it.
Nipigon is famous too, its from the Nipigon River the little boy launched his toy Canoe in "Paddle to the Sea" the town is now building an interpritive centre based on this story. I wonder what Lorraine would think of a canoe trip for next summer?, the two of us.
I got a message from Philip today,the young English chap I met in Kamloops, he's in Thunder bay tonight if he tries hard he may catch up to me.
Re my rear wheel. I replaced the rear wheel in Saskatoon and have put close to 1700km in it without a glitch.