Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 35 July 31 2009



Wawa to Pancake Bay

Depart: 9:30 am
Arrive: 8:30 pm

Daily Distance: 154.03 km
Time: 9:15:26
Odo: 3967. 1 km
Max: 48.1 km/hr
Avg speed 16.6 km/hr

Weather: Foggy wIth a breeze from the south, 12 degrees most of the morning.
Cleared in the afternoon.

Road: hilly, condition C+

I know you folks on the west coast don't want to hear this , but, its cold here. There was a heavy mist off the lake most of the day which forced me to put my coat on at the crest of each hill prior to my deccent. In the late afternoon just as I was about to pack it in the skys turned blue, I had only done 100km but I wanted to take advantage of the weather and get the dlimb at Montreal River behind me so I decided to do another 50 and try for pancake bay.
Fortunately, after the big climb the remainder of the trip was on level lakeshore. Along the way there must have been 100 places that I could have free camped with nice sandy beaches but I prefer campsites for showers and bear security. I was shocked to find Ontario campstes are 32 bucks a night and my site backs onto the highway, next time I free camp.
Mosquitoes are plentful this year but don't tend to bother you if you are moving faster than 11.6km/hr which has been a great incentive not to slack off on hills, if I do start going to slow, lunch is on me.
I've set up camp, cooked my lentil soup with a can of salmon and Ichiban noodles. In an aluminium pot so to keep from getting Alzheimers,  I better  go do a Sudoku.