Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 36 Aug 01 2009



Pancake Bay to Heyden

Depart: 9:00 am
Arrive: 3:00 pm

Daily Distance: 69.59 km
Time: 4:43.19
Odo: 4036.7 km
Max. 38.1 km/hr
Avg. Speed: 14.7 km/hr

Weather: Rain. Wind: S 20km/hr
Road: Flat and hills mixed, shoulders (C)

Left Pancake Bay into a stiff wind that lasted all day. I'm due for a rest day but I want over the last big hump into Sault so I decided to do 2 short days instead. During a downpour I pulled into a coffee shop at Goulais Bay. Two local guys suggested I take the Old Hwy 17 and avoid the big hill to Sault.  Lorraine and the kids have often heard me say "a shortcut is the longest distance between two points" and once again I proved that I was right. Although the route was about 5 miles (oops, I've been in Ontario too long) I mean 8 km longer, the grades weren't to bad. The downpours were extreme and the head winds reminded me of the Praries.
I arrived in Heyden and grabbed a Motel room so I could dry out.
I'll be doing another part day tomorrow and try and get some R and R.
I took a quick look at my schedule and figure I'll be making the Kweebeck
 border next Saturday.