Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 40 Aug. 05 2009



Sudbury to Mattawa

Depart: 7:15 am
Arrive: 6:00 pm

Daily Distance: 177. 47 km
Time: 8:00:04
Odo: 4548.1 km
Max: 56.5 km/hr
Avg. Speed: 22.2 km/hr

Weather: 21 deg.  Overcast with Sunny periods.
Wind: W 15km/hr
Road: Flat/ med hills
Shoulder: Very Poor (D)

Gary dropped me off at the Highway near where I had turned off 2 days prior and I was happy to find the wind blowing from the west and a long flat section of road in front of me.
Taking time yesterday to have a grand tour of Sudbury was a nice break and allowed me to actually see a city that I pass through. My daily focus tends to be on achieving my distance goals and being in bed by 8:30 so  I don't actually ever get to see to many attractions.
I stopped for a bottle of orange juice at a little restraunt just outside of Rutherglen and began talking to a gentleman and the lady running the place about the road ahead as they both seemed to know the area well. They convinced me to get to Pembroke then cross over the river to the Quebec side which gets me off these crappy highways on the ontario side and allows me to bypass Ottawa. I looked at this option tonight on the map and the distances are identical, also,  there seems to be more towns on the Quebec side, I think I'll go for it.
I'm hoping for another wind at my back day so I can make tomorrow night my last stay in Ontario and scratch it off my list.