Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 42 Aug 07 2009



Pembroke Ont To Fitzroy Bay Ont (via Qubec)

Depart: 7:30
Arrive: 6:30

Daily Distance: 125.75 km
Time: 7:22:17
Odo: 4819.4km
Max: 35.5 km/hr
Avg: 17.0 km/hr

Weather: Sunny 21 deg
Wind: N 10
Roads: bike path B

I left Pembroke and decided to cross over into Quebec to ride the bike path and stay off the highway, this was not a shoter route, just a pleasant change. The 'cyclopath" is about 90 km of well compacted limestone over an old railbed so the grade never exceded 2%. The trail finished at a town called Quyon where the ferry crosses to the ontario side, near Ottawa. My plan was to Free camp at the Kwannis park and continue on the Quebec side, however, I was told by a cyclist the Ottawa side was a way better route,  he suggested I cross over.. As the ferry doesn't start running until 8:00 on Satudays, I headed over tonight in order to get an early start tomorrow.
Lorraine provided me with some good info regarding a bike path from Ottawa to Montreal and the park warden showed me how to get to the start of the path,  I should be set to go.